A major achievement of the TiMaScan project is the development of an antibody panel for detection of different subsets of monocytes by flow cytometry. This antibody panel was used to show that in humans, the numbers of different monocyte subsets, including classical, intermediate and non-classical monocytes, differ depending on age and tissue (Figure 1; Damasceno et al., 2019).
Furthermore, by monitoring different subsets of monocytes in peripheral blood following controlled tissue damage (total hip arthroplasty), we showed that changes in numbers of classical monocytes, which followed the same temporal pattern as total monocytes, are different from the changes in numbers of non-classical monocytes (Figure 2; Van den Bossche et al., 2018).
A patent that covers the detection of monocyte subsets to monitor disruption of tissue homeostasis was filed and granted, and has been licensed to Cytognos.
- Damasceno D, Teodosio C, van den Bossche WBL, Perez-Andres M, Arriba-Méndez S, Muñoz-Bellvis L, Romero A, Blanco JF, Remesal A, Puig N, Matarraz S, Vicente-Villardón JL, van Dongen JJM, Almeida J, Orfao A; TiMaScan Study Group. Distribution of subsets of blood monocytic cells throughout life. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2019; 144:320-323.e6
- Van den Bossche WBL, Rykov K, Teodosio C, Ten Have BLEF, Knobben BAS, Sietsma MS, Josiassen K, de Bruin-Versteeg S, Orfao A, van Dongen JJM, van Raay JJAM. Flow cytometric assessment of leukocyte kinetics for the monitoring of tissue damage. Clin Immunol 2018; 197:224-230
- Van den Bossche WBL, Kleijn A, Teunissen CE, Voerman JSA, Teodosio C, Noske DP, van Dongen JJM, Dirven CMF, Lamfers MLM. Oncolytic virotherapy in glioblastoma patients induces a tumor macrophage phenotypic shift leading to an altered glioblastoma microenvironment. Neuro Oncol 2018; 20:1494-1504
TiMaScan project progress meetings
- 15th TiMaScan meeting, 1-2 July 2019, Salamanca, Spain
- 14th TiMaScan meeting, 22-23 November 2018, Leiden, The Netherlands
- 13th TiMaScan meeting, 30-31 May 2018, Leiden, The Netherlands
- 12th TiMaScan meeting, 29-30 August 2017, Salamanca, Spain
- 11th TiMaScan meeting, 14-15 February 2017, Leiden, The Netherlands
- 10th TiMaScan meeting, 19-20 November 2016, Salamanca, Spain